iXDA Sydney Mentor Program – Week 1
Being Like Water
As I wrote in my previous blog post, I think it’s so important for creatives to seek new opportunities to evolve, to improve and to find new experiences that inspire them. With digital dominating our lives, now more than ever flux needs to be a designer's default state.
With that as motivation, I applied for a mentor through the iXDA Sydney Mentor Program and was lucky to be paired with Diana Runkle; Senior Experience Designer at Tobias & Tobias. We’ll be working specifically on UX strategy and workshopping techniques.
With digital dominating our lives, now more than ever flux needs to be a designer's default state.
Enter the Nerd
One week down, here are my initial thoughts:
- Taking the time out to evaluate where you’re at professionally and map out where you want to go is empowering.
- It’s so easy to get stuck in the day-to-day, we often forget why we’re doing what we do and why we love to do it.
- My inner nerd (who let’s face it isn’t too far from the surface) is excited about learning again. Glayvin.
- Initially I felt like this would be one-sided with me getting all the benefit. But I’m sensing that mentors and mentees are just different sides of the same coin.
- Mentee makes me think of manatees, which are awesome.
The experience is only one meeting old but already I'm optimistic about how the program can benefit us both. I’m definitely feeling reenergised and excited about getting out of my comfort zone and learning new things.